While we're talking about the Austrian army, what equipment would be given out to the average boots on the ground?

Considering our army minister and his clique seem to carry the steyr m1912 as a self-defence weapon, I imagine that we'll see an updated version used as a standard use side-arm (I imagine the new "Steyr m1936" would basically be the same as the m1912 but with a detachable mag.)

Hey, Tanner151, I would just like to ask a question in regards to the Austrian State's future military, namely their air force.
Since the Austrian Air Force in OTL, by the time of the Anschluss, had obsolete aircraft in the form of biplanes (apart from the Focke-Wulf Fw 58 Weihe, Caproni Ca.133 and Junkers F 13), what sort of aircraft do you envision that this Austria's air force would equip itself with?
Would they obtain maybe a licence from Germany to licence-build Bf 109s (maybe low-powered versions, the A, B, C and D) or maybe, obtain a contract to have the Heinkel He 112 as their main fighter? Or would Austria essentially be in a state in which a huge percentage of it's air force still has biplane fighters/bombers/ground-attack aircraft and only a small amount of it's squadrons have the latest fighters, maybe because Germany has high priority for such aircraft?
Austria’s Air Force will take a while to get off the ground, no pun intended. As of now the Austrian Air Force is illegal due to Treaty of Saint-Germain. Now Dollfuss, as did the previous Social Democrat and Conservative governments before him, secretly funded ‘flying clubs’ to have a small pool of experienced pilots and mechanics and to allow the Austrian industry some experience with aircraft parts though most of these flying clubs are flying Italian and German aircraft. However Dollfuss is still more focused on the dismal economy and lackluster industry than military expansion, something Austrian cannot do right now in 1932 even if it wanted to.

Once Hitler becomes Führer in 1934 the Air Force will get more of a focus though I wouldn’t expect it to be fully modernized until just before WW2 breaks out. Once it is modernized the Austrians will be focusing more on fighter interceptors and dive bombers with few tactical bombers and no strategic bombers. Smaller industrial base means some things are just not made at all or not made in large numbers.

The Air Force will be comprised of mostly Austrian built planes with some foreign ones when they conquer territories.
While we're talking about the Austrian army, what equipment would be given out to the average boots on the ground?

Considering our army minister and his clique seem to carry the steyr m1912 as a self-defence weapon, I imagine that we'll see an updated version used as a standard use side-arm (I imagine the new "Steyr m1936" would basically be the same as the m1912 but with a detachable mag.)
The principal rifle of the Volkswehr will be the Männlicher 1937 which will be a six round semi-automatic rifle, fed by an en-bloc clip. Faster to fire and slightly more ammo than the M1895 it obviously pales in comparison to the Garand, M1 Carbine, or Gewehr-43/SVT-40, but I’m trying to be realistic on what their industry can manufacture.

They were going to have an assault rifle equivalent in 1943 but I’ve shelved that idea as I don’t see how they could mass produce a brand new type of weapon in the middle of war. There will probably be a Gewehr-43 equivalent sometime in the tail end of the war but won’t ever replace the M1937.

Steyr 1912 will be the default pistol for officers and security forces.

An SMG based on the MP-34 design with a cheaper and more mass produced version in the late 1930s.

Artillery is a bit rough. They will have an ~80mm howitzer and a 150mm mid-range artillery. Not a lot of ‘heavy’ stuff. Austria wants a military that is ‘lean, mean and fast.’ Don’t have much for trench or attritional war.

Panzers for Austria will be somewhere between Panzer III and Panzer IV for much of the war. Eventually they’ll get a Panther equivalent but nothing heavier, at least as of now. It is subject to change.

Austrian divisions are also smaller than average, being around 8,000-9,000 per division. More machine guns and mortars per company/regiment than many other peer militaries, at least at the start of the war.

The Volkswehr will be more motorized per capita than the Wehrmacht was in the war’s beginning. Industrial expansion, both through domestic increase and conquest, will greatly aid the smaller Volkswehr.

The Poles, Italians, Hungarians and Ukrainians will make up the lion’s share of the Axis manpower throughout the war with the Austrians be the ‘tip of the spear’

On a different note:
Also apologies for lack of update. Last quarter of the school year, plus lack of creative juices for Der Kampf, AND a writing itch for a new alt-history has taken a lot of time and energy.

The new alt-history may never see the light of day, but I’m already 30 pages into it with about 7-8 characters planned initially. Set in an alt-WW1 that will lead to an alt-WW2, the war is more widespread than OTL.

No USA, multiple countries there instead. The novel largely revolves around Texas vs California with characters on both sides. A Britain and Prussian-led League vs a French, Russian and Austro-Hungarian Entente with Texas and California on opposing sides.

Probably will never see the light of day but that is something I’ve been working on in my spare time as it has my attention right now. Will be focusing on Der Kampf again in the coming weeks and will get that chapter out before the end of school. Over the summer I hope to get 1-2 more chapter out AND finalize Book 2 for publication.

Still waiting on Book 1 to be released by Sea Lion Press. Haven’t heard back from them in 4 months.

Last edited:
The principal rifle of the Volkswehr will be the Männlicher 1937 which will be a six round semi-automatic rifle, fed by an en-bloc clip. Faster to fire and slightly more ammo than the M1895 it obviously pales in comparison to the Garand, M1 Carbine, or Gewehr-43/SVT-40, but I’m trying to be realistic on what their industry can manufacture.

They were going to have an assault rifle equivalent in 1943 but I’ve shelved that idea as I don’t see how they could mass produce a brand new type of weapon in the middle of war. There will probably be a Gewehr-43 equivalent sometime in the tail end of the war but won’t ever replace the M1937.

Steyr 1912 will be the default pistol for officers and security forces.

An SMG based on the MP-34 design with a cheaper and more mass produced version in the late 1930s.

Artillery is a bit rough. They will have an ~80mm howitzer and a 150mm mid-range artillery. Not a lot of ‘heavy’ stuff. Austria wants a military that is ‘lean, mean and fast.’ Don’t have much for trench or attritional war.

Panzers for Austria will be somewhere between Panzer III and Panzer IV for much of the war. Eventually they’ll get a Panther equivalent but nothing heavier, at least as of now. It is subject to change.

Austrian divisions are also smaller than average, being around 8,000-9,000 per division. More machine guns and mortars per company/regiment than many other peer militaries, at least at the start of the war.

The Volkswehr will be more motorized per capita than the Wehrmacht was in the war’s beginning. Industrial expansion, both through domestic increase and conquest, will greatly aid the smaller Volkswehr.

The Poles, Italians, Hungarians and Ukrainians will make up the lion’s share of the Axis manpower throughout the war with the Austrians be the ‘tip of the spear’
And I'm suspecting that among the many divisions that the Volkswehr will have, will be Gebirgsjäger divisions, as like in OTL they would be vital for fighting around the Balkan areas.
Presumably among their equipment would be mules for transport as well as mountain artillery (say like pack howitzers, mountain guns from Skoda as they were used by the Austro-Hungarians in WW1, and mortars)
As for the whole "assault rifle" thing, I agree that it would probably not be realistic, so what I would probably suggest is maybe a carbine variant of the Männlicher 1937, maybe shortened with either a shortened barrel or a folding stock, so it's much smaller than the main variant, able to be used by special forces or Gebirgsjäger.

Panzers for Austria will be somewhere between Panzer III and Panzer IV for much of the war. Eventually they’ll get a Panther equivalent but nothing heavier, at least as of now. It is subject to chchange.
Maybe the Austrians can make tankettes (idk if im spelling that right) as well, there cheap as hell to make and could be used in the rear for occupation duties etc etc. Plus it could be the basis of Austrian tank development and once they move onto the Panzer they can export the tanketts to other axis partners.

Follow up question is there gonna be some sort of Spanish civil war were the Austrian armed forces get some experience in fighting? I doubt they'll send a ripoff Austrian condor Legion since Austrias size and the cost of funding such a thing (left facists Italy broke in OTL funding a fascists expedition force to fight for franco) but I'm sure they could send a few advisors over to test new ideas and maybe set up a few secret hush hush tank factories in nationalists controlled spainish terriotry.

Maybe the Austrians can make tankettes (idk if im spelling that right) as well, there cheap as hell to make and could be used in the rear for occupation duties etc etc. Plus it could be the basis of Austrian tank development and once they move onto the Panzer they can export the tanketts to other axis partners.

Follow up question is there gonna be some sort of Spanish civil war were the Austrian armed forces get some experience in fighting? I doubt they'll send a ripoff Austrian condor Legion since Austrias size and the cost of funding such a thing (left facists Italy broke in OTL funding a fascists expedition force to fight for franco) but I'm sure they could send a few advisors over to test new ideas and maybe set up a few secret hush hush tank factories in nationalists controlled spainish terriotry.
Yeah, you're spelling tankettes right. And I agree with that notion in that it could essentially be the founding stages of Austrian tank development. Plus, variants could serve as a tank destroyer, self-propelled gun, armoured command vehicle and driver training vehicle.

Well, maybe, the Austrians won't send a Condor Legion of sorts (far too large for a nation like Austria), but maybe the force Austria sends along is about the size of a division, with a regiment or battalion of infantry/armor/artillery and with a squadron of fighter pilots (with maybe the likes of Gordon Gollob, Hermann Buchner, Leopold Fellerer, Hartmann Grasser, Egmont Prinz zur Lippe-Weißenfeld, Walter Nowotny, Johann Schalk, Leopold Steinbatz and Max Stotz as pilots), for I reckon that Alexander Löhr, who served as commander of the Austrian Air Force from 1934 to 1938 in OTL and could serve as such in TTL as well, will want his pilots to gain valuable combat experience.

And I'm suspecting that among the many divisions that the Volkswehr will have, will be Gebirgsjäger divisions, as like in OTL they would be vital for fighting around the Balkan areas.
Presumably among their equipment would be mules for transport as well as mountain artillery (say like pack howitzers, mountain guns from Skoda as they were used by the Austro-Hungarians in WW1, and mortars)
As for the whole "assault rifle" thing, I agree that it would probably not be realistic, so what I would probably suggest is maybe a carbine variant of the Männlicher 1937, maybe shortened with either a shortened barrel or a folding stock, so it's much smaller than the main variant, able to be used by special forces or Gebirgsjäger.
A carbine type M1937 sounds good. A Männlicher 1937 Karabiner, M1937K

So the Austrian panzers will follow a dog naming convention (with some exceptions).

Panzer I/II equivalent = Hyena (20mm cannon plus machine gun) (1933)
Panzer II/III equivalent = Pinscher (37mm cannon plus two machine guns) (1935)
Panzer III/IV equivalent - Jackal (50mm cannon, later 76mm cannon, two machine guns) (1938)
Panzer IV equivalent - Wolf, 76mm cannon with thicker armor and stronger engine than the Jackal (1941), later up gunned to an 80mm cannon in the last year of the war. The Wolf is the highlight of Austrian panzer engineering and will be their big focus in the second half of the war but they can never make enough due to industrial and resource limitations.
Yeah, you're spelling tankettes right. And I agree with that notion in that it could essentially be the founding stages of Austrian tank development. Plus, variants could serve as a tank destroyer, self-propelled gun, armoured command vehicle and driver training vehicle.

Well, maybe, the Austrians won't send a Condor Legion of sorts (far too large for a nation like Austria), but maybe the force Austria sends along is about the size of a division, with a regiment or battalion of infantry/armor/artillery and with a squadron of fighter pilots (with maybe the likes of Gordon Gollob, Hermann Buchner, Leopold Fellerer, Hartmann Grasser, Egmont Prinz zur Lippe-Weißenfeld, Walter Nowotny, Johann Schalk, Leopold Steinbatz and Max Stotz as pilots), for I reckon that Alexander Löhr, who served as commander of the Austrian Air Force from 1934 to 1938 in OTL and could serve as such in TTL as well, will want his pilots to gain valuable combat experience.
The Hyena and the Pinscher will form the basis of most tank destroyers until some early model Jackals are used instead.

There will be a Spanish Civil War but it will be far smaller/less damaging than OTL. The Nationalists win and become more closely aligned to the Axis than OTL Francoist Spain did.

I haven’t decided if a Condor Legion equivalent is sent but there will be some Austrian, especially pilots and panzer crews, whose experience will be vital to the refinement of the Austrian Air Force and armored divisions prior to WW2 breaking out.

There will be a Spanish Civil War but it will be far smaller/less damaging than OTL. The Nationalists win and become more closely aligned to the Axis than OTL Francoist Spain did.
A axis spain could take Gibraltar amd make the war significantly harder fir the allies
Africa could be far harder for them to fight in compared to otl

A axis spain could take Gibraltar amd make the war significantly harder fir the allies
Africa could be far harder for them to fight in compared to otl
Depends on what stage during the war and who is leading Spain at that point (for Tanner151 seems to indicate that the alignment of Spain being much closer with the Axis, means that Franco would not be Caudillo).
Maybe, Nationalist Spain puts Gibraltar under siege at first, instead, before a full-scale assault comes when the Axis feel that they might as well have Gibraltar under their full control.

Panzer I/II equivalent = Hyena (20mm cannon plus machine gun) (1933)
Panzer II/III equivalent = Pinscher (37mm cannon plus two machine guns) (1935)
Panzer III/IV equivalent - Jackal (50mm cannon, later 76mm cannon, two machine guns) (1938)
Panzer IV equivalent - Wolf, 76mm cannon with thicker armor and stronger engine than the Jackal (1941), later up gunned to an 80mm cannon in the last year of the war. The Wolf is the highlight of Austrian panzer engineering and will be their big focus in the second half of the war but they can never make enough due to industrial and resource limitations.

The Hyena and the Pinscher will form the basis of most tank destroyers until some early model Jackals are used instead.
I'd say Hyena for the super early tanks doesn't make much sense as they are apex predators despite popular misconceptions. Also since wolf has already been used a lot, I think Panzer IV being the Hyena would have a nicer ring.

Panzer I can remain the Fuchs (fox) as per OTL Germany, Panzer II I'd suggest Coyote. Why Pinscher?

Also, I don't think a scaled down Panzer V is impossible for Austria especially if they get Czechoslovakia early enough. This Panzer could be the height of Austrian tanks with OTL engine issues fixed in return for coming out too little too late. Could be named Grey Wolf or Lynx personally I'd go with Lynx.

Their scout tankettes would be nice as 'Badgers', honey badgers are not to be underestimated the aggressive monsters are happy to take on even lions!

As for Tank Destroyer equivalents, something like this maybe?

Fuchs - No destroyer developed
Coyote - Jagdpinscher
Jackal - Howling Banshee / Banshee(Todesfee in German)
Hyena - Bear or Jagdbär (hunting bear)
Grey Wolf/Lynx/Hyena II "King Hyena" - Wasp (Wespe in German)

And I can see a machine gun called Rattlesnake similar to how the Storm Rifle got its name OTL, it could be similar to Hitler's Zipper. And maybe a feared fighter plane nicknamed the Raven (Rabe in German) as opposed to a feared dive bomber called Stuka (Austria investing more into fighters/MR fighters)

EDIT: Raven goes back to Norse mythology too with Odin's ravens, and this has also reminded me of the dog Cerberus which I doubt the Nazis would miss! One of the tanks or its destroyer could be Cerberus. Or maybe Cerberus is the wonder tank with three turrents that will counterattack to relieve Vienna and endsieg!

EDIT II: Sorry, Sozinats not Nazis.

Last edited:
I'd say Hyena for the super early tanks doesn't make much sense as they are apex predators despite popular misconceptions. Also since wolf has already been used a lot, I think Panzer IV being the Hyena would have a nicer ring.

Panzer I can remain the Fuchs (fox) as per OTL Germany, Panzer II I'd suggest Coyote. Why Pinscher?

Also, I don't think a scaled down Panzer V is impossible for Austria especially if they get Czechoslovakia early enough. This Panzer could be the height of Austrian tanks with OTL engine issues fixed in return for coming out too little too late. Could be named Grey Wolf or Lynx personally I'd go with Lynx.

Their scout tankettes would be nice as 'Badgers', honey badgers are not to be underestimated the aggressive monsters are happy to take on even lions!

Coyote - Jagdpinscher

And I can see a machine gun called Rattlesnake similar to how the Storm Rifle got its name OTL, it could be similar to Hitler's Zipper. And maybe a feared fighter plane nicknamed the Raven (Rabe in German) as opposed to a feared dive bomber called Stuka (Austria investing more into fighters/MR fighters)

EDIT: Raven goes back to Norse mythology too with Odin's ravens, and this has also reminded me of the dog Cerberus which I doubt the Nazis would miss! One of the tanks or its destroyer could be Cerberus. Or maybe Cerberus is the wonder tank with three turrents that will counterattack to relieve Vienna and endsieg!

Isn't twenty days a little necromantic?

And personally, I've soured on a lot of the military ideas that I and other readers have put forward. Nacht und Nebel, Stoß-ansturmen, and all the animal names for equipment, come off increasingly off the more I think about it, since they're rather quite anachronistic given the period's naming conventions, and come off (with due respect) more juvenile (not the sort of thing interwar military professionals would think up) the more I think about it. After all, the Reichswehr and Wehrmacht were extremely critical of the use of Schlagworte (buzz words), since they promoted oversimplification and a lack of broader comprehension.

Last edited:

And personally, I've soured on a lot of the military ideas that I and other readers have put forward. Nacht und Nebel, Stoß-ansturmen, and all the animal names for equipment, come off increasingly off the more I think about it, since they're rather quite anachronistic given the period's naming conventions, and come off (with due respect) more juvenile (not the sort of thing interwar military professionals would think up) the more I think about it. After all, the Reichswehr and Wehrmacht were extremely critical of the use of Schlagworte (buzz words), since they promoted oversimplification and a lack of broader comprehension.
Do you mean my late reply? Apologies for that, for some reason I didn't get notifs from this thread so didn't check in for a while.

Valid points but to be fair I always assumed the discussion wasn't on official naming but popular colloquialism. It's a little juvenile sure but still good fun. Plus the 21st century Sozinat LARPers ITTL need some cool names!

Coyote - Jagdpinscher

I’ll need to trim up some of the names a bit. Went with Pinscher because it’s a dog breed in Austria. Wolf being the too little too late makes a lot of sense.
Do you mean my late reply? Apologies for that, for some reason I didn't get notifs from this thread so didn't check in for a while.

Valid points but to be fair I always assumed the discussion wasn't on official naming but popular colloquialism. It's a little juvenile sure but still good fun. Plus the 21st century Sozinat LARPers ITTL need some cool names!

Thirty days or less is fine. I’ve been working on the next chapter every other weekend so it should have been out by now but go sidetracked by other writing projects and video games.

I get why a bit on the animal names, but why Nacht und Nebel and Stoßansturmen?

I get why a bit on the animal names, but why Nacht und Nebel and Stoßansturmen?
Well, mainly because (I'm calling myself out here on the former) using stealth is nothing special, and seizing enemy positions with close assault tactics isn't either. If a special buzz word emerges to describe the Austrian way of war, it would more likely emerge from the operational/strategic system, not the tactical. Blitzkrieg (a term the German military generally disliked and didn't use in a doctrinal sense) only really became prominent as a way to describe the dazzling operational successes of the early-war German campaigns. Bewegungskrieg (maneuver warfare), which encompassed the German military's theory of victory, also was principally a description of their operational art, not really the tactical (even if the philosophy often trickled down to lower level command). You see similar things in for example Soviet buzzwords, e.g., Deep Battle, and Maskirovka, which describe philosophies on the operational if not strategic level, rather than the tactical. Auftragstaktik, which does encompass the command philosophy of the German military down to the tactical level, was barely used by the Germans themselves, who more often simply used without fanfare the mundane term selbständigkeit, which literally just translates as independence.

With all this in mind I disavow most of my previous advice on the Austrian concept of war. Considering that from what you describe the Austrian way of war, it sounds basically like methodical battle with more command independence than in the French model (essentially sounding like a more budget version of the American system), and as you yourself have said, likely won't produce such dazzling maneuvers. In this context it seems to me like the Austrian military will be regarded more as a conventional if highly effective instrument which doesn't really break with old expectations in such a dramatic fashion as the German military did in the early years of World War II IOTL. As such, there would probably be little impetus for grand buzz words like Stoßanstürmen etc. to emerge, since there is such a strong continuity with the public's imagination of how war works in the twentieth century. For comparison, we can look at the Six Day War, which similarly didn't spawn a new vocabulary, because a suitable one already existed: the one developed to describe the Wehrmacht.

Last edited:
By the way, not saying you're wrong but I haven't been able to find any sources that state this. Would like to read up more on it, what sources did you use?
Various sources, but recommended reading is The German Way of War by Robert Citino. Relevant pages regarding use of terminology and buzzwords: xii, 240-41, 308.
And Quest for Decisive Victory, pg. xvii, 181, 310.
There are further sources which attest to the Wehrmacht's distaste for the term, e.g., The Blitzkrieg Legend: The 1940 Campaign in the West.

Last edited:
Various sources, but recommended reading is The German Way of War by Robert Citino. Relevant pages regarding use of terminology and buzzwords: xii, 240-41, 308.
And Quest for Decisive Victory, pg. xvii, 181, 310.
There are many further sources which attest to the Wehrmacht's (and Hitler's) distaste for the term, especially The Blitzkrieg Legend: The 1940 Campaign in the West.
What sources does the author cite? Sometimes authors are known to be very accurate and still promote some random unsubstantiated claim like the claim Stalin fell off his horse and that's why he didn't ride in the Moscow victory parade etc.

What sources does the author cite? Sometimes authors are known to be very accurate and still promote some random unsubstantiated claim like the claim Stalin fell off his horse and that's why he didn't ride in the Moscow victory parade etc.
You could look it up yourself. Although I was a tad hyperbolic in using the word despised (disliked would be more accurate), it's not a random unsubstantiated claim that Blitzkrieg was barely used in German professional circles. There's a video by Bernhard Kast on the matter as well if you are interested, most relevant section at 7:53, which has some interesting examples. While occasionally used by the German military, it was little more than a colloquial expression.

Last edited:
Well, mainly because (I'm calling myself out here on the former) using stealth is nothing special, and seizing enemy positions with close assault tactics isn't either. If a special buzz word emerges to describe the Austrian way of war, it would more likely emerge from the operational/strategic system, not the tactical. Blitzkrieg (a term the German military generally disliked and didn't use in a doctrinal sense) only really became prominent as a way to describe the dazzling operational successes of the early-war German campaigns. Bewegungskrieg (maneuver warfare), which encompassed the German military's theory of victory, also was principally a description of their operational art, not really the tactical (even if the philosophy often trickled down to lower level command). You see similar things in for example Soviet buzzwords, e.g., Deep Battle, and Maskirovka, which describe philosophies on the operational if not strategic level, rather than the tactical. Auftragstaktik, which does encompass the command philosophy of the German military down to the tactical level, was barely used by the Germans themselves, who more often simply used without fanfare the mundane term selbständigkeit, which literally just translates as independence.

With all this in mind I disavow most of my previous advice on the Austrian concept of war. Considering that from what you describe the Austrian way of war, it sounds basically like methodical battle with more command independence than in the French model (essentially sounding like a more budget version of the American system), and as you yourself have said, likely won't produce such dazzling maneuvers. In this context it seems to me like the Austrian military will be regarded more as a conventional if highly effective instrument which doesn't really break with old expectations in such a dramatic fashion as the German military did in the early years of World War II IOTL. As such, there would probably be little impetus for grand buzz words like Stoßanstürmen etc. to emerge, since there is such a strong continuity with the public's imagination of how war works in the twentieth century. For comparison, we can look at the Six Day War, which similarly didn't spawn a new vocabulary, because a suitable one already existed: the one developed to describe the Wehrmacht.
Alternate spin on things in my humble opinion, might be the case of no blitzkrieg word is created in this timeline, instead if a nations armed forces conducts a quick combined offensive/attack that shatters the enemy they would be compared to austrian army. They could even be called a "tip of the spear force" for there actions.

Hope I'm being clear with what I'm trying to say here.

Also the Austrian naming there tanks as wolfs sound like an intresting spin instead of saying Panzer.

The animal naming kind of reminds me of the yenkess naming there tanks not the Austrians.

In my gracious opinion once again.