AHC: Kill the Fast Food Industry

Frankly there is no way to stop fast food as others have said but I do believe you can stop the creation of massive fast food conglomerates. Maybe making it so that several fast food places open up across the country and create regional domination which already happened OTL but make it so no major national chain dominates.

Last edited:
I think it entirely depends on what your definition of "fast food" is. Are we talking about places like McDonalds with drive-throughs? Are we including drive-ins like Sonic? Are we including places like Little Caesars and Pizza Hut (I've actually heard people use these as examples)? Are Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks fast food?

I think it's impossible to outright kill it, but I do think there's ways to... mitigate it? Instead of the Federal Highway System being created, you can replace it with a Federal Railroad System (which may be slightly ASB), for example. You somehow need to kill car culture in the US, but even then I think that's impossible without MAJOR divergences.

Clearly it seems that killing all fast food just isn’t likely. Short of nuclear war, it will be a thing that exists in developed societies in many different forms. I guess what I’m looking for is a way to nerf the industry to the point where, say, McDonald’s would be a sight to see in some of the bigger cities and not very common in smaller towns. I mean, I live in a city with a population of not even 25,000 and we have four different McDonald’s locations.
I live in a town of 6k with two fast food franchises, and potentially a third (I'm not saying what in the rare case someone manages to dox me), but it's fucking insane.

Now, the history of British food is one of my areas. Prior to the ‘arrival’ of McDonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken in 1974 and 1965, there was some limited consumption of hamburgers at Wimpy Bars/Grills, initially through Lyons’ Corner Houses and then as separate entities; they were served on plates with cutlery.

There were 35,000 fish and chip shops across the country in the 1930s, plenty of pie shops across London and in the postwar era, the rise of the greasy spoon/cafe ( https://thecritic.co.uk/hats-off-to-the-great-british-greasy-spoon/ ).

[ I will note that the article there does make a rather disparaging reference to the way with vegetables in wartime MoF British Restaurants, which isn’t necessarily accurate from a real food history point of view; the abuse of vegetables in cooking was more of a function of Mrs. Beaton.]

Let us divide restaurants and eating houses into three arbitrary categories:

1.) Upmarket
2.) Middle of the road
3.) Economy class

In the USA, there were more of Category 2.5 - 3 ‘neighbourhood restaurants’, on account of the different demography and history of various locales, but this wasn’t necessarily the case in Britain; there were some Italian places and a handful of Chinese restaurants in London and a few other cities, but food outside of the home was more the stuff of chophouses, inns and clubs in the English tradition.

Postwar, the ‘greasy spoon’ took on Category 3 quite well, and Category 1 was always there, but there was less of a middle category in the British practice. This would emerge later, as society changed, but after the period 1950-1975. Thus, when affluence improved by the 1960s (NHISG and all that), going out for a meal was a definite treat, be it in a newfangled Italian place, a Berni Inn, a Wimpy Bar or a McDonalds, in a manner different to the US.

Throw in a lack of car culture (a small factor, but a factor) and the cumulative impact of rationing, recovery and reaction to recovery and there was a very different background to British short order food.

The wider spread of Chinese, Indian and West Indian takeaways didn’t really kick in properly until the 1970s for the first two categories and much later for the third.

Without US restaurants and even without American foods such as the hamburger, we would still see British fast food, but in its own model/style.
Perhaps a greater survival rate for industrial style cafeterias. Howard Johnson's the cafeterias in national monuments go back to the 20's

Perhaps a greater survival rate for industrial style cafeterias. Howard Johnson's the cafeterias in national monuments go back to the 20's
Problem with that is that people started to move in mass into suburbs meaning most people were far less likely to live full time in the cities and so become less dependent on industrial style cafeterias and other mass feeding places.

Indeed. I was thinking more for travel, Women are probably going to work more, and when you have male-centered traveling or migrations, they dont often cook