Bush vs. The Axis of Evil - TL

On the racism, it's simply an extension of North Korean racial beliefs (I know people who've been to North Korea who have attested similar experiences) - it's not a dig at the Chinese in particular, a lot of internal North Korean propaganda revolved around South Koreans becoming mongrelised due to US soldiers.
I often think it's quite the irony that between the racism, the creation of what is essentially a divine royal family and the huge military budget, North Korea has become essentially a poor man's Imperial Japan.

Well, well, with Kim Jong-Il being actually worse than OTL, and then some (given his capture by the South Koreans), definitely there would be someone who would going as far as attributing everything wrong in North Korea to him alone in attempt to distance communism from juche, with varying levels of success. Hence my comments several pages back.

For all of Kim Il-Sung's fault, would there any ex-North Koreans who remembered him fondly, or at least viewed him more favourably than Kim Jong-Il?

Would ITTL tankies or communists treated Il-Sung and Jong-Il like the anti-Stalinists defended Lenin but loathed Stalin (for a bit ironic note)? North Korea actually is a bit more prosperous than the South in the 1960s (and only on that decade), and the decline since the 1970s can be easily attributed to the rising promince of Jong-Il. Il-Sung can also be considered as a true communist while his son (who developed Juche) would be regarded as a self-serving deviator who ruined everything his father build.
I'm talking about the more fringe opinions developed later down the line, especially after the Moonies revealed their true nature.

This variance of views regarding Kim Il-Sung i believe would mirrored the myriad kinds of opinions towards Lenin, albeit not as varied....

ITTL me would definitely encounter this kind of opinion in 2015-16, and maybe i would reply that "Kim Il-Sung is a fallen hero, and definitely is when he failed to control his son like Soeharto did with his children"

Last edited:
Well, well, with Kim Jong-Il being actually worse than OTL, and then some (given his capture by the South Koreans), definitely there would be someone who would going as far as attributing everything wrong in North Korea to him alone in attempt to distance communism from juche, with varying levels of success. Hence my comments several pages back.
On that note, I could see timelines where the DPRK was organized on more "conventional" Communist lines to be common on TTL's AH.Com.

Where is Henry Kissinger in this TL regarding the Korean situation and the War on Terror? Given his extremely close friendship with the CCP and Chinese leadership, he would be expected to call his Chinese friends about Kim's kidnapping. Who ya gonna call? Super K!

Where is Henry Kissinger in this TL regarding the Korean situation and the War on Terror? Given his extremely close friendship with the CCP and Chinese leadership, he would be expected to call his Chinese friends about Kim's kidnapping. Who ya gonna call? Super K!
Kissinger and his connections would be especially useful with the utter crisis that is about to unfold after the kidnapping of Kim Jong-il indeed.

For once he might be useful

Good god. Useful Kissinger. Put this in the ASB forum

What they didn’t realise was that this time, the boxes coming out had two people in them, one knocked hard asleep. Reportedly, Kim’s son, Kim Jong-Un, walked in to see the soldiers stuff his father’s lifeless body into the box, before casually telling the soldiers ‘Do whatever you want’ and turning back around to go to bed. Spooked, the soldiers sped up their work and managed to get Kim on the truck.​
Hang on, so just to be clear, what happened was that the ROK agents drugged Kim Jong-Il, knocking him out, then began stuffing him into the box. Then, Kim Jong-Un walks in, sees what the soldiers are doing, says "Do whatever you want" and goes back to bed. The soldiers then knock Kim Jong-Un out and stuff him into the box with his father to ensure no witnesses are left behind. As such, both Kim Jong-Il and Kim Jong-Un are flown to the ROK.

Have I understood what happened correctly? If so, what is going to happen to Kim Jong-Un? ITTL, he was never anywhere near the levers of power, but could he still be prosecuted for complicity in his father's crimes?

If I have misunderstood, what actually happened here, and is Kim Jong-Un still back in China? If so, what happens to him next?

Have I understood what happened correctly? If so, what is going to happen to Kim Jong-Un? ITTL, he was never anywhere near the levers of power, but could he still be prosecuted for complicity in his father's crimes?

If I have misunderstood, what actually happened here, and is Kim Jong-Un still back in China? If so, what happens to him next?
Depending on the date of birth Kim Jong-un had, he’d be 19-21 during the fall of North Korea, so there’s that.

Depending on the date of birth Kim Jong-un had, he’d be 19-21 during the fall of North Korea, so there’s that.
Probably would still have been studying I think?
If so my guess is that he can hardly be found complicit since he was just a student in Switzerland under the thumb of his father and the state of North Korea, he quite literally couldnt have done anything
Not that I think the SK justice will give a fuck though

Probably would still have been studying I think?
If so my guess is that he can hardly be found complicit since he was just a student in Switzerland under the thumb of his father and the state of North Korea, he quite literally couldnt have done anything
Not that I think the SK justice will give a fuck though
IIRC, they only kidnapped Kim Jong-il.

Kissinger and his connections would be especially useful with the utter crisis that is about to unfold after the kidnapping of Kim Jong-il indeed.
Yeah no. Given the mans reputation IOTL as a Grade A douchebag for multiple different reasons and that he would be pretty far removed from the politics of the Wellstone administration, no that isn't happening. Kissinger would have a very different mindset than Wellstone given his opinions IOTL, and that would be something recognized by the White House. Why not go through normal diplomatic channels instead of a washed out Foreign Secretary from the Nixon administration?

Reminder that it is still 2000's TTL, not 2020, and that many of the things we today consider "the public consensus", like hating Kissinger, were marginal opinions if not totally unknown. Hell, no one had yet questioned Wilson's narrative as the father of the United Nations and a convinced democrat.

Hang on, so just to be clear, what happened was that the ROK agents drugged Kim Jong-Il, knocking him out, then began stuffing him into the box. Then, Kim Jong-Un walks in, sees what the soldiers are doing, says "Do whatever you want" and goes back to bed. The soldiers then knock Kim Jong-Un out and stuff him into the box with his father to ensure no witnesses are left behind. As such, both Kim Jong-Il and Kim Jong-Un are flown to the ROK.

No, it's an apocryphal story that KJU saw his father getting boxed up, effectively shrugged, left and then the agents left with only Kim and the defector.