Bush vs. The Axis of Evil - TL

I could see a popular meme here compare Reza Pahlavi with Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha with how Simeon's tenure as Bulgarian PM was fairly mediocre while Reza had basically restored Iran's regional position in his tenure.
On the other hand, a genuine movement can emerge for deposed monarchs to become a democratic candidate in their republic, provided they actually has a close affinity with their constituent.

OTL Indonesia has Sultan Muddafar Sjah of Ternate becoming the North Mollucan regional representative in the late 70s, early 2000s, and from 2004 until his death in 2015 despite his sultanate's political power has been abolished since his grandfather's exile in 1915. Pahlavi's rise can entice him to become the City of Ternate's mayor or straight up become a governor candidate for the province. Furthermore Muddafar Sjah has an actual credibility with the populace since he protected the religious minorities during the early 2000s inter-communal violence.

Last edited:
Well, I must say that I expected Pahlavi to suffer an even greater failure even if I continue to believe that the diaspora has excessive weight in the internal policies of the Iranian Republic.

But it is good to see that the country grows and prospers and moves forward on its own against those who want to destroy it.

I also liked the part where they form a strategic Entente with India, that should give them a better position than if they just follow that silly idea of "intertwining our economy with that of the West (United States) to improve our relations".

(That will only serve to that Iran's economy is just one US presidential election away from total collapse when a furiously anti-Iranian POTUS comes to power and decides to reactivate hostilities again, starting by brutally embargoing all Iranian companies).

I especially liked to see that at least it seems that the attempts to leave for Iran ended in despicable failures, especially because the local leaders were idiots and did not foresee the consequences of their actions.

As they say, they bit off more than they could swallow...

Regarding the Iranian part of the chapter, did the war with Azerbaijan lead to the incorporation of ALL of Nagorno-Karabakh region into Armenia ? And what is the situation with Azerbaijan's Nakhchivo Autonomous Republic in this connection?

Regarding the Iranian part of the chapter, did the war with Azerbaijan lead to the incorporation of ALL of Nagorno-Karabakh region into Armenia ? And what is the situation with Azerbaijan's Nakhchivo Autonomous Republic in this connection?

Yes, including all the territory the N-K government controlled was incorporated into Armenia - the Azeris who were kicked out of their homes will never return, though they at least found compensation at American insistence, with Iran promising to pay it out of their oil revenue. While the Armenian Diaspora successfully sold the war in the West as reckoning for the Armenian Genocide and prevention of a second, the status of the exiled Azeris was ignored by the West and this has fueled significant anger in Azerbaijan.

Nakchivan remains in Azeri hands, and while some Armenian irredentists fantasise about taking it too, Turkey told Armenia in no unsimple terms that it would be a declaration of war against Turkey if they tried. The region is kept alive by Turkish aid.

Yes, including all the territory the N-K government controlled was incorporated into Armenia - the Azeris who were kicked out of their homes will never return, though they at least found compensation at American insistence, with Iran promising to pay it out of their oil revenue. While the Armenian Diaspora successfully sold the war in the West as reckoning for the Armenian Genocide and prevention of a second, the status of the exiled Azeris was ignored by the West and this has fueled significant anger in Azerbaijan.

Nakchivan remains in Azeri hands, and while some Armenian irredentists fantasise about taking it too, Turkey told Armenia in no unsimple terms that it would be a declaration of war against Turkey if they tried. The region is kept alive by Turkish aid.
Thanks for the answer.
Will we see Armenia's position and involvement in the region develop as a result of this enlargement? Because I think that almost doubling the territory would lead to, among other things, faster separation from Russian dependence.
And have the Armenians really completely abandoned the Nakchivan issue? Maybe its annexation, but would they pursue, for example, the situation of East Pakistan? I.e. separating the enclave from the rest of the country by supporting some separatist movements, etc.?

Thanks for the answer.
Will we see Armenia's position and involvement in the region develop as a result of this enlargement? Because I think that almost doubling the territory would lead to, among other things, faster separation from Russian dependence.
And have the Armenians really completely abandoned the Nakchivan issue? Maybe its annexation, but would they pursue, for example, the situation of East Pakistan? I.e. separating the enclave from the rest of the country by supporting some separatist movements, etc.?

Nakchivan is considered a long-term project - a short term attack would hurt their relationships with their allies and perhaps invite Turkey, which Armenia knows they would lose badly. The general strategy is just to make it hard for the Azeris to exist there by making it hard to interact with the main body of Azerbaijan, but Turkey is helping prop up the region with financial aid.

Armenia is currently enjoying a surge of immigrants from the diaspora, renewed talks with both the West and Russia (and Israel) with a sense of national destiny being fulfilled. Armenia is increasingly a mediator between the West and Russia.

Looks like this timeline is heading for a more stable middle east, with Iran a regional reader only about as religious as southern European / South American nations. Korea is in for interesting times, although I think that China is going to end up backing off and settling only for very cold relations with Korea going forwards.

Was Kim Jon-Ill this bad in real life? Making soldiers watch movies with him, eating while talking, being racist to the citizens of the only country willing to take him in. I’d never imagine he’d be so bad his own son would casually dismiss his kidnapping. Like @Sorairo what sources did you use to find this information? I’m curious to know if this attitude is based on reality or just an exaggeration of his character to make him seem worse than he really was.

Last edited:
My theory is that Sorairo is going with the version that "The Cleanest Race," that theory that Juche was Japanese fascism repackaged in Korean with Kim's face plastered over it, and therefore Kim is acting like he thinks he's a stereotypical fascist. Plus, of course, resorting to the usual trope that the head of the evil faction is SO EVIL that even his own subordinates and family HATE him and would be happy for someone to kill him.

Making soldiers watch movies with him, eating while talking, being racist to the citizens of the only country willing to take him in.
Dunno about his eating habits but racist between north koreans and other eastern asians is a thing(though no idea what Kim's feelings are on that) and he did make people watch his movies
Heck he was willing to use any means necessary to get them produced

Was Kim Jon-Ill this bad in real life? Making soldiers watch movies with him, eating while talking, being racist to the citizens of the only country willing to take him in. I’d never imagine he’d be so bad his own son would casually dismiss his kidnapping. Like @Sorairo what sources did you use to find this information? I’m curious to know if this attitude is based on reality or just an exaggeration of his character to make him seem worse than he really was.

Not first time when characters on Sorairo's TLs are really different what they actually were. And he likes to show bad guys in as bad/ridicolous light as possible even if it is pretty much out of character.

Not first time when characters on Sorairo's TLs are really different what they actually were. And he likes to show bad guys in as bad/ridicolous light as possible even if it is pretty much out of character.
I mean, we are talking about a guy who used to have fresh lobster helicoptered to his armoured train while his country was having a famine, and a guy who literally had a South Korean director kidnapped to make monster movies for him - and also had the director's ex-wife kidnapped and forced the two of them to remarry because he shipped them.

In other words, I don't think that it's possible to somehow be more ridiculously monstrous than Kim Jong-il was, and have zero issues with the portrayal here.

Last edited:

The North Korean state is a black hole, now compounded by the events of TTL that would surely have made things exponentially worse for Kim's psyche. As a writer, one has to express the tendencies and brushstrokes of the characters, rather than try to photographically record them. Kim is widely believed to have been a psychopath from a young age (he supposedly murdered another child when he was one), and in an environment where he was treated as a God he would therefore have no one to counteract his negative tendencies with the possible exception of his father.

On the eating when talking, I got it from a documentary I watched a while back, though I don't recall if it was a metaphor for how evil he was (the full anecdote was of eating lobster while giving off about the citizens complaining about starving but the implied detail of eating while talking subtly showed his lack of social development and gave a sense of lack of cleanliness). On the racism, it's simply an extension of North Korean racial beliefs (I know people who've been to North Korea who have attested similar experiences) - it's not a dig at the Chinese in particular, a lot of internal North Korean propaganda revolved around South Koreans becoming mongrelised due to US soldiers. The movies part is a reflection of his obsession with creating internationally successful films in the 1980s - Kim also loved Bond films and modelled his own spy operations off them.

At the end of the day, I am not writing the OTL Kim Jong-Il - I am writing a Kim Jong-Il who has lost his empire, has been cast from power and now has to effectively hide in exile from his home country where everyone wants him dead. I had to decide how that would effect him, and I guessed that he would feel bitter and ergo would probably care less and hate more than he already did, perhaps longing and boasting of the glory days. Ultimately, Kim is in the category of people (like Hitler) where his character is so base as to be impossible to defame.